Monday, October 18, 2010

Injury report! PRO AM TENNIS!

I just spent the weekend in Chicago to Celebrate the 40th anniversary of the MIDTOWN Tennis Club.......Joining me was my brother Luke, Brad Gilbert, Pat Mac and Pam Shriver! The party on Saturday night was amazing!!!!.....except for one thing....my ankle was SHOT! I couldn't walk....my knee was tweaked.....and all because of a PRO AM earlier in the day....Im playing with a really nice sponsor of the event and she's a 3.5 player and we are playing in the round robin.....in the first match we win 5-3.....we are playing 8 game pro sets....and in the second round we are playing against some hot shot junior player...or at least he thinks he is.....and some knuckle head teaching pro and they decide to bury my sweet partner into the ground in the first game....now, that really pissed me off!! Because if your a pro.......or if you're the pro.....you shouldn't hit winners and kill the sweet 3.5 60 year old lady.....so I say to my partner that Im gonna help her out and get these guys.......what i'm thinking is that I am gonna kills these 2 idiots! haha....Well, I start looking for my shot, my chance, and if I get it its gonna be cheap! Well I get it and its an overhead....so I line it up and I bring the biggest overhead I can hit and I proceed to aim it at the teaching pros head.........haha......message sent....and I continue to take every shot I can to bury this dingling! Is that a word? Anyway, at this point I am playing full on like its the finals of the french open back in 93 and the sweet 3.5 lady and I are killing these guys 5 games to 1........then tragedy strikes, and I move to my next shot and my knee gives out and my ankle snaps! Whoa! Im on the ground! Now I am really ticked off....now I wanna punch this guy in the face!!!!!....the only problem is that I can't walk! haha.......well, they say things like, do you want some ice....do you wanna stop? All, Im thinking is this is great! Just perfect! Because these two bone heads don't know how to play a Pro Am, Im sitting here with two injuries! UGGH! Well, I don't stop and I refuse the ice and we continue and eventually kick their butts 6-2! Finishing the match on one leg! Haha....Well, I don't know if you care to hear about this or not.....I just think that if your a Pro in a Pro Am you shouldn't be trying to kill the Amateur on the court! Holy Crap! Im just venting today and thank God my knee is cool and my ankle is feeling better......the bottom line is that these Pro Am tournaments are meant to be fun....and if your way better than the amateur player, then, take it easy and don't be an idiot! haha.....Like my Dad always said, "don't take everything so serious"......ok Dad....your the man!

9 comments:

  1. No Murphy you are the man. This blog post is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://wimberlytennis.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, first off it's ding-a-ling!! And secondly, u r the biggest ding-a-ling for falling into their trap...the ole EGO game...laugh it off, entertain the crowd and DON'T GET HURT!!! We need you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so so true Big Murph, hopefully the pro learned his lesson... unfortunately some pros play like that in pro ams cause its the only time that they feel like a real player... against a 3.5 player (lord have mercy) , thse guys have major problems.. anyways glad you helped your partner out and glad u sent the MESSAGE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We really enjoyed you and Luke coming to Midtown and supporting TOP. Sorry about the behavior of that rogue "pro". All the rest were very professional and made the Pro-am fun and we all enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep coming back, brother!!! CMON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a member of Midtown, I'm truly embarrassed. I know who it was. I'll book a lesson with him and spend the hour hitting him. It shouldn't be that hard - I've seen him play.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So, you let me stay in the match all those years because you were a Pro? Man....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember Coach Toley telling me to lose 4-6 in a silly member - Pro event; so that the host could win the trophy. Got carried away and did not achieve the requested score. Coach Toley was not pleased. ( What was that your Dad said, again ? )

    ReplyDelete